Friday, March 15, 2013

Hummus and Cucumber Appetizers


I love appetizers. 
My favorite meals are spent snacking on varieties of small items of food. 



My parents, who are consummate entertainers, always have an appetizer waiting.  I always appreciated the gesture. 
Until I had kids.
For a few years we dreaded having to squawk "You'll spoil your dinner!" "You can have one and that is all!" and then listen to the complaining and requests that followed. 
We have made two progressions in this conundrum. 
One: serve items that you don't mind if the kids fill up on.
Especially when serving more expensive dinner items. 
Oh no, you're too full for more sushi?? 
Bummer.
The second is the fact that my kids are growing up. 
I no longer have to watch them like a hawk over the tray of crackers limiting their intake to a normal humans'. "You can each have two." Translates to them each enjoying two and that being the end of the conversation.
I have loved every stage, so far, but I do appreciate the payoffs from the years of following through with 2 means 2 and whining will get you a quick ticket to your room with none. 
Cucumbers with Hummus and Flax seeds
OK, when you name something like that it makes writing out the recipe a little redundant.
Cucumbers
Hummus
Flax seeds
For a quick hummus I throw a can of garbanzo beans, 4 cloves of garlic (or more),  a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice,  a couple tablespoons of olive oil and salt into the food processor and blend until smooth with chunks.  









No comments:

Post a Comment