Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tuna and Avocado Salad with White Beans

If this recipe sounds eerily familiar, it is because it is a knock-off of Erins Avocado Salad. I got so addicted to her salmon salad that I began to ponder my role in the decline of the Pacific Northwest wild salmon population.  And also, wild salmon is expensive (so, so worth every penny, however, but sometimes you have to remind yourself there are other fish in the sea).

1 can albacore tuna
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1 can of white beans, rinsed and drained (I took a strong liking to Great Northern beans for this, but garbanzos are great also, as are other white beans)
10-12 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup feta cheese (I also use Romano cheese often, either is delicious or go cheese-free if you prefer)
Lemon juice to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and sprinkle with lemon juice and salt and pepper.

There are endless variations to this. Sometimes I chop some Bibb lettuce leaves and toss them in, or sliced fresh basil if I have it. Chopped pecans are yummy in it. My husband has requested cucumbers be added but  sadly he has been overruled every time as I don't like them! And of course, sub salmon for tuna for the Cadillac version.

No comments:

Post a Comment