Wednesday, February 6, 2013

French Toast


I have to agree with Erin that breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day!! And I know I have the best chance of getting my oldest (a very stubborn 3 year old) to eat something of value. Yes, Erin I will have more to add about picky eaters (including the story of our 24 hour soup stand off). =)) French Toast is a household breakfast staple that has healthy carbs, fat, protein and fruit/veg! What else could you ask for in a meal?


FRENCH TOAST RECIPE:
Quick morning fill‘er up! I love to sneak in a veggie puree to the dip...no one including my husband usually notices! There a ton of cookbooks and recipes out there for "sneaky foods". I use a carrot/squash blend that I pre-make and freeze in advance. I put them in mini-muffin trays then bag for an easy add in!  Pre-made baby food or apple sauce are great to have on hand if you don't want to make your own! I'm all about healthy and quick....I've got things to do like go to the gym and work off that 10 lbs of baby weight that is still hanging on, not slave in the kitchen every waking minute!

3 eggs
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoon sugar (4-6 drops liquid stevia for no sugar)
1/8 cup milk (soy or coconut also great substitute)
1 Tablespoon cooking oil (coconut oil or butter is our favorite)
4 slices whole wheat bread
Optional: 2 Tablespoons of veggie or fruit puree (baby food or apple sauce work as well)

Crack 3 eggs in a shallow mixing bowl to dip bread into. Add spices, vanilla extract, sugar, milk and puree then mix well with a fork. Heat shallow pan to a medium heat with cooking oil. Dip each slice of bread in egg mixture on each side. Cook until golden brown on each side of the bread (about 4 minutes each side).

No comments:

Post a Comment